This qualification covers the skills and knowledge required to perform a limited range of laboratory operations across all industry sectors and is the entry level required for laboratory personnel across all industry sectors.
Employment outcomes targeted by this qualification include laboratory technicians, instrument operators and similar personnel.
Laboratory Technicians perform straightforward laboratory work. They follow set procedures and recipes, and apply well developed technical skills and basic scientific knowledge. They generally work inside a laboratory but may also perform technical tasks in the field or within production plants. They may also perform a range of laboratory maintenance and office tasks.
The majority of their work involves a predictable flow of parallel or similar tasks within one scientific discipline. Laboratory technicians:
perform straightforward technical tasks to prepare and test samples using relevant procedures, Australian Standards and readily available advice. These tasks generally require close attention to detail and to the accuracy and precision of measurements. They may require the use of manual or semi-automated techniques
- operate test equipment and instruments and make limited adjustments to their controls
- process and record data and recognise trends and out of control conditions
- solve predictable problems using clear information or known solutions. Where alternatives exist, they are limited and apparent
- work under close and regular supervision, although they may have autonomy for specific tasks and responsibility for their own outputs
- take decisions within defined limits of responsibility
- work as part of a team.
Training programs for this qualification are suitable to be undertaken as part of a formal training contract with an employer under an Australian Traineeship or Apprenticeship arrangement.
The nominal duration of the training program is up to 24 months*, although with recognition of current competency and self-paced learning, it can be completed appreciably sooner.
*Nominal durations may vary through state and territory arrangements. Please refer to the state arrangements for the state or territory for which you intend to participate in your course.