This qualification covers the skills and knowledge required to perform a range of laboratory techniques to conduct tests and sampling in a variety of industry sectors.
Employment outcomes targeted by this qualification include technical assistants, technicians, instrument operators and similar personnel.
Technical Assistants undertake a wide range of sampling and testing that requires the application of a broad range of technical skills and some scientific knowledge. Although technical assistants generally work in a laboratory, they often work closely with other personnel throughout the workplace and with suppliers. They may assist other personnel to solve technical problems and to adjust formulations and production mixes. They may also train them to collect samples and conduct basic tests reliably.
The work of technical assistants involves similar tasks within one scientific discipline with occasional peak periods and some interruptions. They:
- work according to established procedures in a structured environment
- collect and prepare samples
- conduct a wide range of basic tests and a limited range of specialised tests and measurements using manual, semi-automated and fully automated techniques
- define and solve problems of limited complexity where the information available is less obvious, but not contradictory, and can be determined by direct reasoning
- work under the direction and regular supervision of senior technical staff, laboratory or quality managers, or scientific/medical personnel. The work of technical assistants is normally subject to frequent progress and quality checks
- generally work in a team and may have responsibility for their own work outputs.
Training programs for this qualification are suitable to be undertaken as part of a formal training contract with an employer under an Australian Traineeship or Apprenticeship arrangement.
The nominal duration of the training program is up to 36 months *, although with recognition of current competency and self-paced learning, it can be completed appreciably sooner.
*Nominal durations may vary through state and territory arrangements. Please refer to the state arrangements for the state or territory for which you intend to participate in your course.