This qualification covers the skills and knowledge required to apply a range of laboratory technologies to conduct scientific-technical tests and sampling in most industry sectors.
Employment outcomes targeted by this qualification include technical officers, laboratory technicians, analysts and similar personnel.
Technical Officers conduct a wide range of sampling and testing that requires the application of broad scientific-technical knowledge and skills, with substantial depth in some areas. Although technical officers generally work in a laboratory, they often work closely with personnel in other teams within a section of the workplace.
They may liaise with suppliers to troubleshoot product non-conformance at the direction of laboratory supervisors or managers. They gather information on non-conformance and events that may lead to the modification of workplace procedures. They may also demonstrate methods to others and train them to collect samples and conduct basic tests reliably.
The work of technical officers involves frequent peak periods and interruptions. They:
- work according to established procedures in a structured environment
- collect and prepare samples and communicate sample requirements to other personnel
- conduct a wide range of routine and specialised tests where atypical samples may be involved and the instrumentation used has a wide range of operating variables
- contribute to the modification of standard operating procedures (SOPs) and enterprise methods when necessary
- define and solve problems where alternatives are not obvious and where investigations and trials may be required and the implications of various solutions considered
- work under the direction and supervision of senior technical staff, laboratory or quality managers, or scientific/medical professionals
- generally work as part of a team and may have a role in the planning of schedules and monitoring of resources in their work area.
Training programs for this qualification are suitable to be undertaken as part of a formal training contract with an employer under an Australian Traineeship or Apprenticeship arrangement.